Don't know how to signup and upgrade?
2-factor Authentication, what is that ?
Email login code is dead, long live the Authenticator code!
We never thought that we should explain how to use a simple app as the Google's Authenticator app is, and never thought that someone who has a bitcoin wallet has never used the Authenticator app before, but here we are ;)
If you have not noticed a red link just above the QR code for the Authenticator setup when you entered your login credentials, a link that says "Click here for instructions" then maybe you will look here before you send us a support ticket asking what is that all about.
To log in from now on, you must first set a 2-Factor Authentication for your account.
This is done by setting up a Authenticator app on your Android, iOS, or BlackBerry device(smartphones, tablets)
or on your desktop/laptop computer (MacOS, Windows) or even as a plugin for your Chrome browser.
If You have an Android phone or tablet, you probably already have the app installed(Google's Authenticator), but should you not, just go to the app store/Play store and install it.
There are also other apps, like Authy for example, which works on multiple platforms, and you can even have your authentications on multiple devices, you can back them up, etc. We highly recommend Authy app (you DO need to have a working email and cellphone number to use it)
If you only have a cumputer, there is a simple desktop computer app for Windows 7(or later) computers which also works nice, download it here: WinAuth Take a look at the instruction video below, which shows in detail how to install and setup your WinAuth desktop app.
WinAuth supports backups, so you can backup your authentications too!
If you haven't set up Authenticator app before, here's how it works:
This is how you set up your 2-Factor authentication with Google's Authenticator app(others are probably very similar)
1. log in to M2M Donations with your credentials
2. when you successfully log in, next page will show 2FA setup QR barcode
3. make a screenshot of the page by pressing "prt sc" button on your keyboard(if you are ona computer. On a phone is usually a combinations od power and volume buttons), or print the page
- You NEED to do this, and have the QR barcode SAVED and kept in a safe place, because if you loose or brake your device, without one of them you will NOT be able to setup 2FA on your new device on your own!
4. open the Authenticator app on your device, tap the red "+" button, then choose the "Scan a barcode" option, and aim the viewfinder so the code fits inside it, and the authentication will be all set inside the app.
5. now, type in the 6-digit code that is now displayed in the Authenticator app, into the "Login code" field on the M2M Donations page with the QR barcode, and press Submit. That's it! Next time you log in, you just type that 6-digit number that is shown in the app.
So no more emails, you already have the login codes with you, secure and away from hackers, you only need to open the app, and then enter the code you see in the app. Simple as that, and at the same time very secure.
Take a look at this video, to see what you are supposed to do:
You only have a phone, so can't scan the 2FA barcode ? Ask a friend to help you!
Don't have a smarthpone? No problem at all. Have a code generting app on your computer!